Information for Artists
Online Submissions ONLY
May 1, 2017 – October 6, 2017
Extended Deadline October 10, 2017
International applications are encouraged and welcomed.
The exhibition reception opening will occur on Friday, March 16th, 2018 and the exhibit will run through April 28th, 2018.
AQE 2018 is the 13th exhibition of this internationally acclaimed show set in suburban Philadelphia. “One of the distinctions of our show is our professional presentation of art quilts. The exhibition has been widely praised by reviewers and artists not only for exhibiting the quilts in our gallery settings but also for promoting the art quilt as an art form” stated Nancy Campbell, Executive Director of the Wayne Art Center.
AQE 2018 seeks innovative artworks in a variety of formats including, two-dimensional, three-dimensional and "off-the-wall" installations. Furthermore, AQE embraces the Studio Art Quilt Associates definition of the art quilt "a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure".
- Paul Smith, Independent Curator
- Marsha Moss, Public Art Curator and Consultant
- Mi-Kyoung Lee, Program Director of Craft + Material Studies, University of the Arts
- Work submitted must be innovative and original in design. Work derivative of other quilt artists or work created in a workshop with the collaboration of an instructor is not acceptable.
- Work must be a personal expression of the artist’s intent.
- Art Quilts submitted must have been completed after January 1, 2016.
- If this quilt is framed, that information and the finished size including the frame must be listed on the application.
- There is no size restriction for 2018.
- A hanging device or bar MUST be included when shipping the quilt to Wayne Art Center. If the hanging device is not included with the artwork, the artist will be charged $25 in order to prepare a new device to properly install the work.
- The artist contact email provided on the on-line application must remain active during the submission and exhibition process. The artist is responsible for checking their email for acceptance and/or decline and other information regarding the Art Quilt Elements 2018 exhibition.
- Art quilts must be available FOR SALE.
- Sale price that is noted on the on-line application is the FINAL price if the quilt is accepted into the 2018 exhibition.
- We reserve the right to omit from the exhibition accepted quilts that differ dramatically from what is represented by the digital image submitted.
It is important to provide professional high quality images. Artists must supply digital images of at least 2100 pixels on the longest side to be included in the E-catalog. Each artwork requires two images: one overview image and one detail image. No slide entries will be accepted.
Calendar of Events
October 6, 2017 · Deadline for on-line application submission, $45 fee.
October 10, 2017 · Late Deadline for on-line application submission, $65 fee.
November 1, 2017 · Notification of Accepted and Declined Work.
November 16, 2017 · Deadline for return of Artist Loan Agreement.
February 2018 · Distribution of Artist Information Packets.
March 1, 2018 · Deadline for receipt of all quilt work at Wayne Art Center.
March 16, 2018 · AQE Artist Opening Reception
April 28, 2018 · AQE 2018 Exhibition Closes.
May 11, 2018 · Artwork returned to artists.
Our effort to cultivate organizations that acknowledge artists in various disciplines is ongoing. We are very pleased to announce that the Wayne Art Center will be offering $3,000 + cash in awards. The awards will be given from individuals and various organizations to artists participating in the 2018 AQE Exhibition.
Entry and Exhibition Fees
- The entry fee is $45 for up to three quilts.
- Late application entry fee is $65 for up to three artworks.
- Please pay using Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, or personal check for US entries only. Your application will not be finalized until the entry fee has been paid.
Shipping to and from Wayne Art Center
If your work is selected for AQE 2018, you are financially responsible for shipping to and from the Wayne Art Center and in-transit insurance of your work. Your shipment MUST also include a pre-paid UPS or FEDEX return shipping label or your Pay Pal account or your credit card information which will be charged when artwork is ready to be returned shipped. Otherwise, provide a credit card #, expiration and name as it appears on the card for return shipping payment. DO NOT include stamps, foreign country checks or cash as a method of shipping payment.
For internationally accepted work, please review your country’s shipping and custom regulations and the best way for US Customs to receive your work. Regulations and rules change frequently and can cause artwork to be held up in Customs or returned to the artist.
The Wayne Art Center (WAC) will insure all artwork upon receipt and for the duration of the exhibition in the Davenport and Ethel Sergeant Clark Smith Galleries. In the event of transit damage, the artist will be required to settle claims directly with your shipping carrier.
Sales and Commission
All quilt artwork must be for sale to be included in the Art Quilt Elements 2018 exhibition, and the sale price must be listed on the entry application. Please be aware that on-line submitted artwork prices CANNOT be changed. NOT FOR SALE quilts will be disqualified from the submission process.
WAC will retain 40% commission of work sold during the exhibition dates or on any sale that results from mediation by the WAC staff (Buyer must also pay 6% sales tax). Artists will receive 60% of the final selling price and payment will be mailed 4-6 weeks after the close of the exhibition.
Instructions for Online Submission
Once the on-line application process begins you cannot return to the previous screen, so please have all required information and images prepared in advance. Here is a checklist before beginning the online registration process:
- Title (type exactly as the words, numbers and symbols should appear in the E-catalog)
- Dimensions (width and height and depth – where applicable)
- Dimensions if framed
- Artist Statement (100 words or less)
- Materials and Techniques
- Overall and Close-up images of each quilt. Images must be at least 2100 pixels on the longest side (or 350 dpi at 6") and JPG format only.
- Sale Price
- Date of Completion (after Jan 1, 2016)
- Full Contact Information with Name, Shipping Address, and Email. (The email provided with the on-line application will be the sole form of communication.)
- We will ask if you are willing to share your contact information with other associated fiber organizations.
- Preview the registration forms — Please note that this is not the form to enter. It is just a preview to help you get organized before you start your application.
Registration is now closed.
For More Information
If you have any questions, please email Karen Louise Fay. If you have technical questions about the online registration system, please email Lisa Ellis.